With rotations in full swing, I’ll be the first to tell you that eating healthy or even packing food is just a pain. But I’m here to share a few recipes, snack ideas, etc. to help keep things interesting.
Chicken & Asparagus Lemon Stir Fry (makes 4 servings)
You’ll need: 1 ½ lbs skinless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes), ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon canola oil, 1 bunch asparagus (ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces), 6 cloves garlic (chopped), 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste, pepper flakes (optional)
- Lightly season the chicken with salt. In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth and soy sauce. In a second small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water (be sure to mix well).
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 teaspoon of the oil; then add the asparagus and cook until tender-crisp (3-4 min). Add the garlic and ginger. Cook until golden (1 min). Set aside.
- Increase the heat to high, then add 1 teaspoon of oil and half of the chicken and cook until browned (4 min on each side). Remove and set aside. Repeat with the remaining oil and chicken. Set aside.
- Add the soy sauce mixture; bring to a boil and cook about 1-1/2 min. Add lemon juice and cornstarch mixture and stir well. When it simmers, return the chicken and asparagus to the pan and mix well. If you’re like me and need a little spice, now is the time to add pepper flakes! Viola!
What’s a meal without a little dessert, right?
Cranberry Almond Energy Bites (3 dozen bites)
You’ll need: 1 ½ c almonds (finely ground), 1 ½ c rolled oats (old fashioned), 2/3 c almond butter, 2/3 c maple syrup, ½ c dried cranberries, ½ c white chocolate chips, 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a food processor or blender, blend the almonds until they become finely ground (looks like sand). In a mixing bowl, add the ground almonds, and remaining ingredients. Stir until all are thoroughly combined (it will be sticky). Using a tablespoon or ice cream scooper, spoon out individual bites and roll with hands.
- They’re ready to eat right away. So easy, right? They refrigerate and freeze well. Refrigerate for up to one week.
Stay tuned for more on healthy eats—until next time!