I hope you enjoyed part one of this series—now for part two.
Recipe #3: Grilled Margherita Sandwiches (makes two sandwiches)
You’ll need: 4 (1/2-inch) slices of whole wheat Italian bread, 1 large garlic clove quartered, 4 to 6 thin slices of mozzarella cheese, 1 large tomato thinly sliced, 2 tablespoons of thinly sliced fresh basil, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic-pepper seasoning, and 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Rub both sides of each bread slice with garlic. Top each slice with one-fourth of the cheese and half of the tomato and basil. Sprinkle each with 1/8 teaspoon of the seasoning; top with remaining cheese and bread slices.
- Brush the tops of sandwiches with some of the oil, and sprinkle some of the seasoning. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place sandwiches (brushed-sides down) in the skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Brush the tops of sandwiches with remaining oil; sprinkle with the remaining seasoning. Turn and cook 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Now for a tasty dessert that only requires 4 ingredients and a few minutes of your time.
Recipe #4: 5-minute Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
You’ll need: 4 cups of frozen strawberries, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of honey, ½ cup of plain yogurt.
- Add the frozen strawberries, honey, yogurt, and lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor. Process until creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Serve the frozen yogurt immediately or transfer it to an airtight container to store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Note: You can add additional honey for a sweeter-tasting dessert.
Stay tuned for more! For part three of this series, I’ll be sharing some healthy snack ideas.