I was cleaning up my room and getting ready for an event when an idea hit me! Medical school keeps me so incredibly busy and on-the-go more times than I’d like. So why not share some of the life hacks that have gotten me through (and still are) my med school journey? I realize some of these may be repetitive or things that you already do now, but who knows, maybe you’ll learn a thing or two.
- Adopt a positive attitude. Believing is doing. Write yourself notes or quotes of encouragement to keep yourself in the right mindset at all times. People would kill to be in your shoes.
- Two words: studying incentives. So let’s say I’m doing practice questions. For every set I complete, I give myself a 10-15 minute break. I can do what I want with that time. Sometimes, I’ll check my social media, or I’ll go get a snack and visit with family downstairs. Maybe, I’ll go outside and just get some fresh air.
- Mini-makeup kit in your backpack/purse. This has been the best thing I ever started doing. Sometimes, I end up in last minute meetings and whatnot, and I’ve usually been up for at least 12 hours or more. My face starts to look the part too. I keep a mini-makeup kit both in my backpack and purse, depending on which one I’m using that day. I keep small sample sizes of all the basic necessities to freshen up on-the-go anytime.
- Ice cold water on-the-go. Fill a reusable plastic water bottle a quarter of the way full and lay it on its side in the freezer. That way, when it’s frozen, you can pull it out of the freezer in the morning and fill the rest of the bottle with water. There ya go—ice cold water on-the-go.
- Dryer + damp washcloth. I do this more times than I’d like to admit. I’ll wait until the last minute to decide what to wear (because I have nothing to wear), and it’s wrinkled galore. I’ll dampen a washcloth and pop it into the dryer with my clothing item to get rid of the wrinkles.
- Hair straightener. Sometimes, not all of the wrinkles will come out with the hack described above. So if a flat iron can straighten my hair, why can’t it remove wrinkles from clothes? You’re welcome.
- Amplify your alarm. So when the weather tends to get cold, I become a heavier sleeper. I’ve been known to sleep through my alarm, so here’s a great life hack. Amplify your alarm by sticking your smartphone in a glass—speaker side toward the bottom of the glass. Bonus: works in a car cupholder too if you’re connection wire goes out.
I hope some if not all of these life hacks are helpful to you. What are your favorite life hacks to get through med school?