Now that I’ve shared my New Year’s resolutions for 2017 with you, let’s talk about how to stick to them. I’ll admit that this is one of those things that is much easier said than done. So I’m here to share a few tips on how I plan to keep myself accountable.
- Set realistic goals. We often set high expectations for ourselves when we make resolutions, which is why we don’t stick to them. I’ve been guilty of that. That’s why I like to take baby steps. Many of my resolutions harped on improvement or things that I know wouldn’t be very time consuming for my already hectic schedule.
- Have patience, and don’t quit. Sometimes, you’ll face minor setbacks. If you feel like you’re beginning to fail at your resolutions, just remember that not every day will be perfect. Progress is never linear. You’re working on becoming a better version of yourself; so don’t beat yourself up. Keep in mind that lasting changes take time.
- Track your progress and set milestones. Seeing improvement can be a source of motivation as you reflect on where you started and where you are. Plus, it’ll give you a chance to celebrate your successes along the way.
- Find someone to hold you accountable. Tell your close family and friends about your resolutions, so they can help keep you on the right track.
- Make it fun! Find the joy in the process of achieving your goals. Good things are always worth the wait.
I wish you all the happiest New Year—until next time!