Now that I’ve gotten medical school under my belt, I have moved onto the next step—residency, specifically intern year. You can say my wish list has changed a bit. It’s still the most wonderful time of year, and with that comes yummier food, holiday music, and much needed time with family to make priceless memories. Even though we’re making a salary in residency, it is an EXTREMELY NOMINAL amount for the work that we do. So, I decided to prepare an updated gift guide for the resident in your life—ones that may be helpful during the times of COVID.
- Technology. You can never go wrong with buying the resident physician in your life updated technology to help keep their life moving in a streamlined manner. Whether it’s a new laptop or a new phone or a smartwatch, your resident will be beyond thankful.
- Coffee Subscription or Gift Card + Cute Mug. If your resident is a coffee drinker, they would most likely love a coffee subscription so they can pick up as much coffee as they need prior to work or even a gift card to their favorite coffee place. Get them an awesome mug or other cool contraption to keep their coffee warm. Get it monogrammed with something encouraging or special so they smile every time they drink out of it!
- FOOD. From subscription services to restaurant gift cards—your resident would be SO grateful.
- $$$. Bills add up, and it can be difficult with the limited income residents receive. Any $$$ in the form of cash, checks, and/or gift cards are more than welcome.
- Laundry Services. If you can do all the laundry in the world for your resident, I think they’d love you forever! Again—there’s a theme! It’s all about streamlining their very time-limited life since they’re always spending their time in the hospital.
BONUS: PPE = Sanitizing Products + Masks. You can never have too much!
I hope this season brings you lots of joy and laughter! I hope you get to do something special for the resident in your life—Merry Christmas!