Are you looking for a gift for that med student in your life for the holidays, or even an upcoming birthday? Well, look no further! I brainstormed a few ideas for what I think would make useful gifts for all medical students because I know it can be hard to think of practical gifts when one is not familiar with the med student life:
- Stethoscope – a med student can never have too many stethoscopes, especially high-quality ones. I received a high-quality stethoscope for Christmas last year and have since been able to hear heart murmurs that I never knew existed; even being able to diagnose an SVT once!
- White coat hanger or pin – My sister gifted me a sturdy, wooden hanger for my white coat with the wire-shaped into my name. I love this hanger because it differentiates the white coat from all my other coats, and makes it easy to locate and grab my white coat in the mornings. Plus, it looks really nice! A personalized pin for the lapel of a white coat would also be nice in adding some pizzazz to an otherwise bland looking piece of attire.
- Nice pens – Being in the hospital or the clinic, we are always in need of pens. I like to keep a few in my white coat pocket or attached to my clipboard at all times. And there is nothing worse than a pen that has run out of ink or a low-quality pen that writes roughly. Smooth, ballpoint pens are much appreciated, especially for scribbling down small notes for those oral presentations during 6 AM rounds.
- Coffee maker – It is rare to meet any med student who does NOT drink coffee. It is the essence of life for us, having to wake up early and stay up late to study. Buying coffee in the hospital café or at local coffee shops can definitely get expensive, and having your own maker at home makes it so much more convenient to brew and go on time.
- Comfortable shoes – For time on the wards when you’re donning scrubs, it is also great to have a pair of comfy sneakers/casual shoes to wear with them. During inpatient or surgery rotations, students roam the hospital a lot (or stand in the OR all day), and would benefit from some cushioned, well-aerated gym shoes.