There are some days I wake up feeling so overwhelmed, not wanting to get out of bed, wishing it was Friday already. That unexplainable depressed feeling that many of us experience. Those mornings when I hit the snooze button and get up 10 minutes before classes start. Med school can do this to you! The pressure of passing classes, constant studying and overload of information, and lack of sleep can be tough to handle all at once. I find that often when I am overwhelmed, overtired, and stressed, I want to give up and tend to forget what I’m doing here. I forget why I even wanted this in the first place. Thankfully, I’ve learned a few tips to battle this feeling.
1) TREAT YOURSELF. Don’t be afraid to splurge and treat yourself to a spa appointment (massage, manicure, pedicure, etc). One of my favorite things to do is get a massage and take a spa day for myself every once in awhile. I definitely deserve it!
2) REMEMBER YOUR MOTIVATION. I have a bulletin board in my room that has photos and notes from my family, friends, and siblings that give me motivation when I need it. My brothers wrote me silly notes before I left for school, so remembering their humor makes me feel a lot better.
3) WORK OUT! As much as I hate to admit, I don’t work out nearly as much as I used to before I started school. Any med student would understand me when I say that. I have a set of intense 25-min workout videos on my computer that I put on when I just need to move and forget about school for a bit. It always helps to relieve stress and I feel so much better about myself after.
4) TAKE A DAY TRIP. I love to travel! Living and going to school abroad gives me a huge opportunity to visit nearby islands and new countries. I am so thankful to be able to travel somewhere new inexpensively. You learn to appreciate your surroundings again and take your mind off all the worries and stresses. If you don’t have the opportunity to travel too far, take a drive and explore a nearby town or city, even if you’ve been there a hundred times. There’s always something new to discover!
5) SWITCH IT UP. Change up your routine for a day. I find that sometimes I just need a “restart” day and a refresher. Eat breakfast for dinner. Take a day to binge-watch your favorite show on Netflix. Eat at your favorite restaurant. Don’t do anything related to school or studying. This is one of the most effective things I can do to restart myself and get myself out of that depressed/unmotivated feeling!