Let’s please keep in mind that I’m a constant work in progress because let’s be real, most of us are. However, here are 10 tips to help keep perspective and continue building a founding on which to begin your journey of self-love and acceptance.
- Focus inward. This means focusing on what you’re thinking. Whether it’s meditation, contemplation, or reflection, take a few minutes each day to sort through your inner thoughts.
- Turn off the negative self-talk. Focus on the positives; we are all human, and none of us are perfect. This is something even I struggle with more often than not.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. Again, this is one I still struggle with, but remember, people, fail and succeed at different rates.
- Be patient with yourself. This includes forgiving yourself, dealing with old wounds, and facing your inner obstacles.
- Do what lines up with your morals and values. Do NOT let anyone or anything change what is fundamental about you.
- Me-time. Hmm, this keeps coming up—maybe it really is that important to spend some time alone.
- Spend time outside. What a beautiful world we have and how lucky are we to have eyes to see it.
- Make time for your hobbies. There’s something about finding something you excel at and being able to continue to fine-tune your abilities with that something.
- Smile. Laugh. Recipe for happiness.
- Treat yourself like you would your own best friend. Would you be so hard on your best friend about the same things that you’re so hard on yourself about? Make it a regular practice to talk to yourself with the same compassion you show to your BFF whenever you start to put yourself down. This is probably my favorite tip—talk about perspective.
Good luck. Love yourself. Accept who you are. Be happy.