It wasn’t until one of the airport security agents said, “Glad you’re well. See you next time,” when I realized I’ve been at the airport too frequently. One week, I had 4 interviews in 5 days. And none of them were close. All required rushing through the airport. So, how did I make it through the interview season? A few thoughts…
- Interviews will happen 3 months in advance, as well as 3 days in advance. That is part of the process. Be prepared to buy tickets at the last minute.
- Buy insurance for flights. Or pick flights that allow for same day changes. Because there are some days when same day changes will happen.
- Schedule at least 50 minutes for a layover. Because traveling in December means delays. Be prepared to make tight layovers.
- Buy TSA pre-check. It’s $80 for a 5 year guarantee. But pre-check for me has meant the difference between making 2 more interviews given the tight turnarounds between interviews and flights. This is the best purchase I’ve made so far.
- Learn to pack a carry on, especially with your suit. There are great instructions online regarding this. Or you can get a suit bag to check your things (for me, this didn’t work since I had multiple interviews for each time at the airport).
- Make sure your hotel has an iron. Enough said.
- Have fun. Now is the time to meet new people and enjoy!
What other advice do you all have around traveling?